Saturday, December 10, 2016

Review: Oblivion

Oblivion Oblivion by Joshua Ryan Ogg
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was definitely out there for me. Oblivion, the new drug on the West Coast of Cali is bad juju. As soon as it’s inhaled, the soul checks out and the person becomes a zombie. The local dealers are not happy because the crew that’s selling it has come into their territories and are peddling without permission. They’re also killing and chopping up rivals. This new crew is evil, I’m talking black magic evil. They’re killers, sacrificing to the old Aztec gods and are trying to bring about the end of the world and bring the Goddess Kali back.
Out to stop them is Donnie, Kal, and Eden, but the three have their own demons. Eden escaped from this new crew and has an evil spirit attached, Donnie’s a local dealer who uses, and Kal, well Kal is the Medicine Man. He’s called that because he had made some of the best designer drugs out there, but he’s currently retired and dealing with his own demons.
This is one trippy book. Definitely more out there than I’m used to. I was rather enjoying it until the end. There was a line that stopped me dead and made the editor in me screech. The part that made me stop, and reread was, “ripping the zealot to pieces and devouring him whole…” This particular sentence was also the length of a paragraph. I’m all for descriptive writing, but there has to come a point when the editor steps in and says sentences needs to be restructured. The writing is like this for the entire story. Because of these issues, I am giving the book 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment