Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Review: Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've been sitting here, mulling over this book. Just not sure that it lives up to the hype, but then what really does. I was expecting it to be more. More chilling, more of a thriller. I couldn't stop reading, I don't know, maybe I was hoping that the further I got into it, it would become more of what I was hearing about with this book. It just didn't happen for me.
Jack Angel seems to have it all. Perfect home, perfect wife, perfect life. But is it really perfect? He is so not the perfect man that everyone thinks he is. Only two people know the truth, Grace, and Millie. When Jack approaches the sisters one day in the park, no one could have guessed that within six months Jack and Grace would be wed and making plans to have Millie move into their home.
Only after the wedding does Grace truly find out what kind of man she married. She now has to figure out how to stop him, or get away before Millie turns 18 and moves in with the couple. One day, Millie comes up with a plan to stop Jack and a desperate Grace decides it's the only thing that she can do.
For me, the book is way too far fetched. I mean, Millie is the one to come up with the idea, and supply the necessary product to help Grace. At the end, Grace gets support from an unsuspecting ally, her new neighbor Esther. Esther seems to have seen through the facade and with a few spoken missteps by Jack, and a conversation with Millie, she figured out what was going on.
The book is well written and I hope that with time, Ms. Paris's books won't be given so much hype, but allowed to speak for themselves. I think all the hype and hoopla might have done more harm than good in this instance. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment